WASHINGTON, May 9, 2019 -- In celebration of Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) on May 16, Blackboard Inc. is proud to host its third annual webinar series on improving digital accessibility for all learners. The virtual events will convene accessibility experts and educators to share best practices and strategies for improving the quality of the educational experience for all students. Participants also will have the opportunity to hear case studies from higher education leaders who increased student access and engagement by implementing inclusive digital learning environments. The webinar series will follow the sun, beginning in Australia and concluding in the U.S. It includes the following sessions:
- From Awareness to Action—Disability Inclusion in Higher Education, 2:00 pm AEST
- Presenter: Matt Brett, Director, Academic Governance and Standards, Deakin University
- Topic: Explore best practices for higher and tertiary education systems to implement programs enabling the full participation and inclusion of students with disabilities.
- Accessibility and the Formats that are Impacting Multiple Intelligences, 11:00 am GMT-4
- Presenter: Néstor S. Del Valle, Educational Technology Manager, Albizu University, Puerto Rico
- Topic: Discuss tactics for leveraging multiple content formats to make an impact with students with different learning abilities.
- Atlantic Cape Community College: Journey to a More Inclusive Campus, 11:00 am ET
- Presenters: Chad Bullock, Senior Manager, Center for Accessibility, Atlantic Cape Community College; Michelle Perkins, Director, Instructional Technology, Atlantic Cape Community College; Mike Barnes, Director, Center for Accessibility, Atlantic Cape Community College
- Topic: Learn how Atlantic Cape Community College became a fully accessible campus in three years.
- How the University of Toledo is Developing a Digital Accessibility Culture, 1:00 pm ET
- Presenter: Melissa M. Glacker, M.L.S. Educational Technologist, Adjunct Instructor, Department of Communication, Vice-Chair, UT Professional Staff Council, The University of Toledo
- Topic: Explore how The University of Toledo leveraged Blackboard Ally to implement a digital accessibility program for both online and in-person programs.
- Tips and Tricks of Inexpensive Accessibility Testing, 5:00 pm CT
- Presenter: Elizabeth Simister, Product Accessibility Manager, Blackboard Inc.
- Topic: Discover inexpensive ways to test the accessibility of websites and applications.
The webinars will feature closed captioning and recordings will be made available on-demand.
Blackboard’s GAAD webinar series is part of our ongoing commitment to improve accessibility for all learners by dismantling barriers in online learning environments. We deliver product experiences that conform to the highest levels of global accessibility standards and understand that a mature digital accessibility program must establish a sustainable organizational culture around accessibility.
Register for the webinars at https://go.blackboard.com/Global-Accessibility-Awareness-Day-2019
Our mission is to partner with the global education community to enable learner and institutional success, leveraging innovative technologies and services. With an unmatched understanding of the world of the learner, the most comprehensive student-success solutions, and the greatest capacity for innovation, Blackboard is education's partner in change. Learn more at www.blackboard.com and follow @Blackboard on Twitter.
CONTACT: Hillary Marder, 571.353.6929, Hillary.firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Blackboard Inc.